Oops! Sorry!!

This site doesn't support Internet Explorer. Please use a modern browser like Chrome, Firefox or Edge.

Employment Authorization Document (EAD) & Travel Documents

Employment Authorization Document (EAD)


Unless you are a U.S. CitizenPermanent Resident or in the U.S. on a valid Nonimmigrant Work Visa, you are not authorized to work here without first obtaining an EAD or "Work Permit." Working in violation of this law can prevent you from obtaining certain immigration benefits in the future and can even land you in Removal Proceedings. If you have worked in the U.S. without authorization and are worried about how this may effect your immigration status or eligibility for an immigration benefit, contact our experienced work permit lawyers today for help.


In order to be eligible for an EAD, you must fit into one of the allotted categories. Generally, these categories require an underlying petition or application filed on your behalf that is either pending at the time you file for an EAD or has been approved. 

Contact us to find out if you are eligible for an EAD!

US National Identity Card

Travel Document (Advance Parole/ Re-entry Permit)


Travel Documents allow non-citizens to return to the U.S. after temporary foreign travel. Many grounds of inadmissibility are not triggered until an individual departs the U.S. Although you should not face any difficulties leaving the country, if you plan to return to the U.S., you will need a Travel Document to present at the border. The different categories of Travel Documents hold important distinctions.


1. Reentry Permit: Issued to Permanent & Conditional Residents who plan to be outside the U.S. frequently or for extended periods of time in order to prevent abandonment of Permanent Resident status. *You must be physically present in the U.S. when applying for a Reentry Permit. You CANNOT apply for a Reentry Permit outside the U.S.

2. Refugee Travel Document: Issued to individuals who are in the U.S. in valid Refugee or Asylee status who seek to depart the U.S. and return after temporary foreign travel. Asylees/ Refugees will not be permitted to reenter the U.S. without a valid Travel Document. 

*Your Refugee or Asylee status will terminate if you travel to the country from which you claimed persecution.*

3. Advance Parole: Allows an individual to enter the U.S. for a specific purpose. Unlike Reentry Permits & Refugee Travel Documents, if you enter the country as a Parolee, you are not considered "admitted" into the country. Rather, you remain an "applicant for admission," and thus cannot cure a previous unlawful entry (Click here to learn more about Inadmissibility).


In the past, EAD cards and Travel Documents have always been issued on separate documents. Today, depending on your category of eligibility you may be issued an EAD Card that serves as both your work authorization as well as your travel document to reenter the country after foreign travel.

Travel Document

If your EAD card contains this statement, then you may also use it to travel outside the United States.

**However, merely being issued a Travel Document does NOT ensure that you will be allowed to reenter the country. It is thus strongly advised to consult with an experienced immigration attorney prior to departing the United States to ensure that there are no bars to your reentry.

Representing Clients Across the United States and Around the World.

Get help with your Immigration case today!

Fill out the form, call or email us for a free case evaluation!


  • (212) 444-8064

    •   Contact:

    •  1 (212) 444-8064 (OFFICE)

    •  1 (212) 981 2726 (FAX)

    • The Shapiro Law Firm, LLC

      11 Broadway,

      Suite 615

      New York, NY


  •  The Shapiro Law Firm, LLC

  • Get Social With Us!

    Speak With Our Team Now:

    (212) 444-8064

    Schedule A Case Evaluation:

    Case Evaluations

    © 2024 The Shapiro Law Firm. All Rights Reserved.

    disclaimer | “Attorney Advertising” The information contained in this website is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Any email sent via the Internet using email addresses listed in this website would not be confidential and would not create an attorney-client relationship. Website created by Stratophi.com with contributions from icons8.com for supplying all of the icons appearing on this site.